My child is being bullied at school. What can I do?

First of all, talk to your child to hear what they have to say. Then arrange to speak to your child’s teacher. Ask whether the school has an anti-bullying policy and if you can see it.

If you are not satisfied with what the class teacher tells you, ask to see the head teacher and discuss the problem with them. If you are still not happy, you can contact the parent council (or equivalent body) or the education authority. If the bullying involves a criminal offence, for example, assault, harassment, intimidation, extortion or theft, then it should also be reported to the police.

There are several organisations which may be able to help you and your child.

For more information about bullying and organisations that can help, see Problems at school.

Moira Tasker